JONESBORO—The Georgia Main Street Program has awarded the city of Jonesboro its Main Street of the Month recognition for June.
Mayor Joy Day said, "This is a well-deserved honor for not only our Main Street program but for our city. We have put our heart and soul into investing not only our financial resources but also engaging our community to ensure sustainable growth within the Central Business District. This practice is one that will continue to be at the forefront of all of our core goals and objectives."
The project's goal is to provide economic stability for downtown Jonesboro while creating a vibrant streetscape for residents and visitors. Since Jonesboro Main Street was founded in 2017 and accredited in 2018, the program has raised over $100,000 in memberships and fundraising, with over 160 members. The city estimates public and private investments in Main Street Jonesboro at about $9.91 million.
Main Street America requires 10 performance standards for accreditation:
• broad-based community support for the commercial district revitalization process, with strong support from both the public and private sectors
• vision and mission statements relevant to community conditions and to the local Main Street program's organizational stage
• a comprehensive Main Street work plan
• an historic preservation ethic
• an active board of directors and committees
• an adequate operating budget
• a paid professional program manager
• a program of ongoing training for staff and volunteers
• reports key statistics
• is a current member of the Main Street America™ Network
Jonesboro Main Street projects include the food truck court, seasonal street banners, planters, festivals, a property purchase for a small business accelerator, and the new Arts and Entertainment District.
"Jonesboro will not be known as a typical small (town), but a home town epitomized by its people. This character is now the driving force behind the momentum and success of the Jonesboro Main Street Program," said City Manager Ricky L. Clark, Jr. "As each new chapter takes shape in Jonesboro, the characters will include young and old, many ethnicities, local natives and new transplants all delivering the same message of 'One Great Community with Many Stories!'"
Visit Georgia Main Street at http://www.georgiamainstreet.org/
Learn more about Main Street America at https://bit.ly/2EEJRZ2
Learn more about Blueprint Jonesboro at https://bit.ly/2Wo37b5