When the Central Georgia Electric Membership Corp. charged its lines and began sending power to its first members, there were 329 customers on the system. The year was 1938, and the utility was part of a new and growing movement to bring electricity to rural parts of the United States under-served by investor-owned electric companies.
The co-operative was able to take out a loan of just over $200,000 to begin installing 200 miles of power lines in six counties, including Butts and Henry. Today, Central Georgia EMC sends power to nearly 51,000 billed accounts across more than 5,000 miles of lines in a service area that covers parts of 14 counties: Bibb, Butts, Clayton, Fayette, Henry, Jasper, Jones, Lamar, Monroe, Morgan, Newton, Pike, Putnam and Spalding.
And it is celebrating 75 years of providing electricity to customers who also own the company, which has been headquartered in Jackson since its founding.