A 26-year-old Forsyth man and his 10-month-old son were found dead in their car in the Waffle House parking lot on Ga. Highway 36 near I-75 on Nov. 14. It is believed they died of carbon monoxide poisoning while sleeping in the car.

According to an incident report from the Butts County Sheriff’s Office, deputies responded to the restaurant about 6:30 a.m. in reference to multiple people unresponsive in a vehicle in the parking lot. When they arrived, Waffle House employees flagged them down and indicated the victims were in a white car to the right of the front door of the restaurant.

A female adult was found breathing but unresponsive in the front passenger seat of the vehicle, and the deputy radioed for additional EMS.

The deputy was advised of an infant in a car seat in the rear of the vehicle. The infant was found not breathing and removed from the vehicle in his car seat.

The male driver was also found not breathing and was removed from the vehicle.

EMS and the coroner arrived and after examination the male and the infant were pronounced dead at the scene.

The female victim was transported to Spalding Regional Hospital. Her condition is not known as this time.

The man was identified as Christopher Gage McKinzie, and the infant was identified as his 10-month-old son, Sawyer Gage McKinzie, born in January.

According to co-workers, McKinzie got off from work at the Waffle House at 12:30 a.m. and went to sleep in the car with his son, with the engine running, waiting for his girlfriend (the female victim) to get off from work at 2:30 a.m. Went she got off, she also got into the car and went to sleep.

According to family, Christopher McKinzie graduated from Mary Persons High School in 2013 and had worked for Waffle House for the past 10 years. He is survived by his parents, Teresa and John Bueter of Forsyth, and Dan and Ashley Boyett of Locust Grove, sisters, and other relatives.

Funeral services were held at 2 p.m. on Friday, Nov. 20 at Rocky Creek Baptist Church, 225 Rocky Creek Road in Forsyth. More obituary information is available from Sherrell-Westbury Funeral Home in Jackson.

Recommended for you

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Please log in, or sign up for a new, free account to read or post comments.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.

Support Local Journalism

Now, more than ever, the world needs trustworthy reporting—but good journalism isn’t free. Please support us by subscribing or making a contribution today.