JONESBORO — Several speakers at the Clayton County Board of Commission meeting Tuesday night called for the creation a police oversight committee in the wake of the beating of Roderick Walker by a Clayton County sheriff’s deputy.
The deputy has since been fired for excessive use of force while attempting to arrest Walker.
Speaker Devin Barrington-Ward, managing director of the Black Futurists Group, demanded Sheriff Victor Hill’s resignation. He also demanded that charges against Walker, which include obstructing officers and battery, be dropped and that criminal charges are filed against the now-terminated deputy.
The viral video of the arrest shows a sheriff’s deputy pinning Walker to the ground and repeatedly punching him.
Walker has been released from the Clayton County jail and transferred to Fulton County where he was wanted on a felony probation warrant for cruelty to children and possession of a firearm by a convicted felon and a failure to appear warrant out of Hapeville.
Hill has turned the investigation over the the Clayton County District Attorney’s Office.
In a short press conference on Tuesday afternoon, DA Tasha Mosley said her office is collecting information and encouraging any witnesses to call her office.
“I cannot and will not comment on the details of any ongoing investigation,” Mosley said. “We will not rush to judgement and will be fair and thorough. That is what I have been entrusted to do for the citizens of Clayton County.”
- LeBron questions MVP voting after second-place finish
- Clayton Board of Education approves 3-year contract for superintendent
- Suspect steals patrol car, leads police on chase
- Gov. Brian Kemp reopening Georgia elderly-care facilities for first time since COVID-19 struck
- University of Wisconsin-Madison grad student admits pretending to be a person of color
- Attorney calls for additional firings, investigation into Clayton County Sheriff's Office in Roderick Walker beating
- Probate Court accepting weapons carry license permits
- Clayton sheriff's deputy fired after filmed beating man during an arrest
- Forest Park's Adriana Laguna, Riverdale's Henry Johnson post cross country wins
- 'Serial' robbery suspect in jail
- Speakers call for police oversight committee, resignation of Sheriff Victor Hill
- ON THE MARKET: Spacious Jonesboro home in walking distance to Lake Spivey
- ON THE MARKET: Jonesboro home close to Lake Jodeco provides scenic views from every room
- How climate change is impacting every state bird
- 10 editorial and topical cartoons from the past week - Sept. 15
- ON THE MARKET: Lake Jodeco home for lovers of the outdoors
- 100 highest-paying jobs in America
- These are foods you shouldn’t keep in the refrigerator
- Podcasts to Listen To: Antiques Freaks and the best antique podcasts
- PHOTOS: Rahneika McQueen thanks Clayton County police officers for saving her life