JONESBORO — Several speakers at the Clayton County Board of Commission meeting Tuesday night called for the creation a police oversight committee in the wake of the beating of Roderick Walker by a Clayton County sheriff’s deputy.
The deputy has since been fired for excessive use of force while attempting to arrest Walker.
Speaker Devin Barrington-Ward, managing director of the Black Futurists Group, demanded Sheriff Victor Hill’s resignation. He also demanded that charges against Walker, which include obstructing officers and battery, be dropped and that criminal charges are filed against the now-terminated deputy.
The viral video of the arrest shows a sheriff’s deputy pinning Walker to the ground and repeatedly punching him.
Walker has been released from the Clayton County jail and transferred to Fulton County where he was wanted on a felony probation warrant for cruelty to children and possession of a firearm by a convicted felon and a failure to appear warrant out of Hapeville.
Hill has turned the investigation over the the Clayton County District Attorney’s Office.
In a short press conference on Tuesday afternoon, DA Tasha Mosley said her office is collecting information and encouraging any witnesses to call her office.
“I cannot and will not comment on the details of any ongoing investigation,” Mosley said. “We will not rush to judgement and will be fair and thorough. That is what I have been entrusted to do for the citizens of Clayton County.”
- Biden plans to reverse abortion policies of previous administration
- Bucs head to Super Bowl with NFC title win over Packers
- Trump adviser says former President not currently considering launching a third party
- 38 Capitol Police officers test positive for Covid-19 after Capitol riot
- MORRIS: Will you 'blossom like the vine' this Lenten Season?
- Lake Spivey Recreation Center opens to public Friday
- Clayton County man charged in stabbing of his mother
- Jonesboro police, Sheriff's office announce arrest of 'Cash App Caper'
- New House rules to eliminate gender-specific terms such as 'father, mother, son, daughter'
- Lake Spivey Recreation Center now open to the public
- Former Clayton Chief Magistrate Wanda Dallas moves to Stockbridge law firm
- Clayton County Dept. of Health begins Covid-19 vaccinations
- Clayton Board of Health offering free COVID-19 vaccines
- Clayton County offering COVID-19 relief financial assistance, direct housing services
- Shaquille O'Neal named Director of Community Relations for Henry County Sheriff's Office
- 15 ways doctors are now treating COVID-19
- Great dog breeds for seniors
- "I have a dream" and the rest of the greatest speeches of the 20th century
- Most popular small dog breeds
- 25 ways America changed during the Trump administration
- Signature dishes from 50 countries around the world
- PHOTOS: Forest Park vs. Westlake Girls Basketball
- Quiz: Can you guess the writers behind these 50 famous quotes?
- Most popular dog breeds that are good for families
- 50 best gangster movies of all time