NBA: Los Angeles Lakers at Cleveland Cavaliers

Dec 14, 2017; Cleveland, OH, USA; LiAngelo Ball, left, and LaMelo Ball sit behind the Los Angeles Lakers bench before a game between the Cleveland Cavaliers and the Los Angeles Lakers at Quicken Loans Arena. Mandatory Credit: David Richard-USA TODAY Sports

LaMelo Ball, a 17-year-old point guard, announced Monday he will play for the Illawarra Hawks of Australia's National Basketball League this year.

Ball will join another American teenager, guard RJ Hampton, for the upcoming season in the NBL, which is promoting its Next Stars program as an alternative to spending a year in college before players are eligible for the NBA Draft.

Ball, the younger brother of New Orleans Pelicans point guard Lonzo Ball, likely would not have been eligible to play collegiately because of his professional experience in Lithuania before returning to high school, as well as a shoe deal with the family's Big Baller Brand. But he told ESPN he thinks the NBL can be his launching pad to the 2020 draft.

"My agents did a ton of research on the options I had to play this coming season, and Australia really made sense for me," Ball told ESPN.

"They have a really strong league, with excellent coaches and great players, including former and future NBA players, and great strength and conditioning programs. My goal is to be the top pick in next year's draft, and I feel they can help me reach that goal. Also, the timing of the season works well with the timing of next year's draft."

The nine-team NBL runs from early October to late March.

Ball and Hampton were considered five-star recruits in the 2019 class, according to the 247Sports composite rankings. Hampton gave up his college eligibility last month to sign with the New Zealand Breakers.

"I had already decided to play in the NBL prior to RJ's decision, I just hadn't yet narrowed down the team," Ball told ESPN. "But having RJ there only adds to the excitement. I think it will be a good experience for both of us to be there at the same time and to be able to play against one another."

Ball agreed to a two-year contract that includes opt-outs for the NBA, ESPN reported.

Brian Bowen became the first NBL Next Star last season, when he played for the Sydney Kings. He is eligible for Thursday's NBA Draft.

--Field Level Media

Support Local Journalism

Now, more than ever, the world needs trustworthy reporting—but good journalism isn’t free. Please support us by subscribing or making a contribution today.

Stay Informed

Recommended for you

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Please log in, or sign up for a new, free account to read or post comments.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.